Subject: M3 sold on ebay
From: Bruce & Amy Hansen <hansen02@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:33:35 +0000

Dear Leica Users,
I hope you will bear with me for a moment, this is not about using
Leicas.
	I ran an auction on ebay a couple of weeks ago, to sell an M3. I
described the camera, included pictures, and put a reasonable reserve on
the auction. When the auction was over, I shipped the camera and thought
that was it. Unfortunately, the winner was unhappy with the condition of
the camera. I immediately offered to refund his money and I also offered
to reimburse him for the return postage. He said "Your character shines
through like that of a gentleman. I'll handle the postage, if you would
just return my check we'll be square.The camera will go out in the same
box on Monday morn."(Monday 7/7, but I have yet to receive the camera)
Again I thought that the matter was put to rest. I received his check (I
had sent the camera c.o.d.) last Thursday, and mailed it back to him
last Friday.
	You can imagine my surprise when I found out that I was being blasted
in the L.U.G. for grossly overstating the condition of the camera. It
was not a pleasant feeling to think that he could have done so without
any response from me. He had also said in his first email;"  I won't say
a word to anyone on ebay, or usenet, should anyone contact me. I would
just like to return the camera and walk away even".
Fortunately, I was informed by someone who had a successful transaction
with me on ebay that I should take a look at what was being said. If
anyone has kept copies of the postings, could you please send a copy to
me at my email address? I sent an email to the man who was to return the
M3. I asked when and how he had mailed it. I also asked if he would send
me copies of the postings he had made about me. I wrote to him on Monday
the 14th, but he hasn't responded.
	I have been buying and selling cameras for about 14 years. Most of my
customers are return clients. In the past week, I have sent out about 50
cameras and lenses to repeat customers. In addition, I have been selling
on ebay for a couple of months. If you go to the feedback section of
ebay, you can see the 57 or so positive comments that have been made
about my wife and I. One of those comments says that the item I sold was
better than described. That was written by a L.U.G. member. I mention
this to let you all know that I do not purposely mislead anyone about
the condition of a camera. I treat people as I would like to be treated.
	Have I ever erred in describing a camera? Of course. Intentionally? No.
Was the M3 as bad as was described? No. I included a picture of the
camera in the ebay description. I even felt that the dent was
significant enough to warrant the use of another picture. I was really
surprised to hear that the purchaser was unhappy because the dent was
"more significant than was evident from the picture".  If you describe a
dent AND take a picture of it, isn't that sufficient? I rated the camera
8.2, and mentioned the missing pieces of leather. The rangefinder,
shutter and self-timer were working. The camera was not "pitted with
rust". If you look at the photo I included with the auction, you can see
that it's not a basket case:
		http://www.pongo.com/aw-images/hansen/leicam3.jpg
 But when I got his email of complaints, I didn't argue. I could have
missed something. It could have been worse than 8.2. And if I missed
something, I wanted to pay his return postage. What I don't like is that
he used this forum to drag my name through the mud, but didn't have the
decency to say that he would do so.
	If you have read this far, I want to thank you for taking the time. My
reputation is important to me, and I'm glad I got a chance to give my
side of the story.
Sincerely,
Bruce Hansen