Subject: Re: Films, Photos and History
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:50:55 -0500

Claes wrote:
>As a TV Photographer myself I have to object to some of the invectives!
Nevertheless I tend to agree with the frightening conclusion that tomorrow=B4=
Video Photographers won=B4t have the same understandings for the Art of
Photography as their older colleagues were taught in various photography-
and film schools.

>When I started in the business we really didn=B4t have to worry at all about
the colors. Mainly because we didn=B4t yet have color TV! At that time we sho=
the news on 16mm B&W negative film.

>When color television was introduced we used 16mm reversal
film(Ektachrome), and suddenly correct exposure became really important.

Exactly the point I was making.  When you shoot film and have to be aware o=
the correct exposure  you tend to pay more attention to all the detials of
photography.

>Well, you can imagine how lost those guys are when they one day find
themselves out in the city wilderness with the heavy camera on their
shoulder - and without headphones. Of course they love everything automatic
that come with the new digital cameras!!

Claes, since you have been there could you please explain to me why todays
video shooters have to have the producer, or reporter tell them how to
shoot?  Is it because of this trend of using untrained people to opperate
the cameras.  My wife is a TV producer and I have been on several shoots
with her and I have seen her have to spell out exactly how a shoot is going
to go.  Of course there are exceptions to this.  One of the best TV/Motion
picture photographers I know of works with her and she pretty much lets him
have free reign to shoot as he sees fit, but then he is an exception and is
VERY good at what he does.  I think it is because he knows what a Leica is.=

He has seen me shooting with mine and is envious!

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto