Subject: Re: R8 metering (was: incident metering)
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Jul 97 10:34:15 EDT

PAscal wrote:

<<<In more general photography, the matrix metering works all right most of the
time. I have, however, already had some overexposed pictures. These mostly
happen when you photograph a normal subject (e.g. a person) against a much
darker background (e.g. trees in a wood)>>>>>>>

Hi Pascal,

I know what you mean, (blew one for the same reason) but because I prefer a
slightly more saturated transpaency I shoot 99% of the time with the Intregal
(center weighted).

In this case I avoid the image that is OK, but just a tinsy weenie too light for
my liking. It is till acceptable and they screen and reproduce OK, but they
don't quite create my hully gully feeling of , "WOW look at that!" richness.

THe opposite was quite apparant this week in the start of a project on
Veterinarians doing there work in the operating room and many on location scenes
indoors. I went all Multi-pattern (Matrix) and every one was on the mark and
printed beautifully. (all available existing light)

I think the challenge for us R8 users is not to worry about how well the
metering system works, but to learn the locations and environments that the
meter will be our greatest asset for perfect exposures.

And that's the secret, how and where to use it!  Transparencies I believe going
99% Intregal and any negative film you go Multi-pattern and I'm sure you wont go
wrong.  Certainly from the results so far.

<<<<<<BTW: did you know that the meter of the R8 is factory-calibrated on an
underexposure of -1/3 ? This was done to have slides with nice, saturated
colors (information read in the French magazine Chasseur d'Images).>>>>>

I can understand them building that in for the "amateur folks" who's work I see
quite often as being just a touch too light. But for my personal transparency
preference I don't have a problem with it, as I prefer a slightly greater
saturated slide.

<<<<<I am leaving for the Swiss mountains in a week, and will take a mixture of
Fuji Velvia 50 ASA and Fuji Provia 100 ASA. I wonder which film will prove most
appealing to my taste.>>>>>>

I small suggestion, :)  Take a couple rolls of Kodak 100sw for in the mountains,
I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. If they don't work I'll owe you a drink
on the next visit to Europe! :)
 Hey you can't loose! :)

Have a good and safe shoot. Let me know how it wworks out. Thanks.

regards,
ted