Subject: Re: New R zooms
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 21:18:39 -0700

> Does anyone know anything about the optical qualities of the new
> Leica/Japanese 35-70/4.0 and 80-200/4.0 zooms???  How good are the
> closeup qualities??
>=20
> If these are really good lenses (with asperical elements) it seems that
> both zooms with a 24 or 19/2.8 and the 50/1.4 could cover just about
> anything in normal (?) shooting, ie, travel etc.
>=20
> One problem I see is that the 80-200 weighs about 37 oz (plus R8 is 68 =
oz
> =3D 4 1/4 lbs)
>=20

I've been thinking exactly along the same lines (although I'd go for a 35=
mm
instead of a 50mm). I don't currently own an SLR system and I place a lot
of value on light weight and compactness. My favorite SLR system which wa=
stolen a number of years ago consisted of a couple of Pentax MXs, an LX,
and lenses from a 20mm f4 to a 75mm-150mm f4 and a 2X converter. The whol=
outfit fit in a small Tamarac bag. As I recall all the lenses took 49mm
filters. I was into mountaineering and 'adventure travel'  type photoraph=
y.
I would love a modern Leica equivalent and I'd be willing to pay a bit of=
weight penalty for more rugged Leica lenses.

Unfortunately the Leica R stuff is a LOT heavier. The R8 for example weig=
hs
as much as a Cannon EOS1 which is autofocus, has a built in winder, and i=
a rugged camera. So if and when I go this route I'd be looking at an R7. =
lot of the frequent posters to this group seem to be pros who are used to
hauling around a lot of equipment and are not bothered by this. Maybe whe=
you're use to working with 300mm and 400mm f2.8 lenses you don't worry
about a few ounces extra in a camera body.=20

Galen Rowell in his book "Gallen Rowell's Vision" talks about his desires
for a small manual focus camera. The Olympus OM4TI is probably the closes=
thing available today. Too bad it doesn't take Leica lenses.=20
 =20
Jacques Bilinski               =F4=BF=F4
Vancouver, Canada            ~   =20
                    =20