Subject: Re: Shortage of Used R 6.2 Leicas??
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 12:15:35 -0700

On  8 Jul 97,  Richard Clompus wrote:

<snip>

> Where do all the used R 6.2 cameras go?  I guess once you buy one,
> you never part with it.

Lotsa R6 used available, but, you're right, not many R6.2. I bought
a new 6.2 from Chatterton that was for overseas consumption. Sealed
and untouched with English and German manual, no less. It was about
five hundred less than new U.S., but no Passport, only a one year
waranty that must be exercised through Chatterton.

If you are comfortable shooting manual, then by all means go for
the R6/6.2. Periodically, I find it necessary to remind folk that
ALL exposure is merely a combination of a given f stop and a given
aperture setting. I use the 6.2 meter and occasionally make
adjustments on that based on experience. It's very fast when you
trust your experience. Even if you add the sophisticated use of TTL
flash, there's little that you can't handle with experience and a
variable power output flash unit. Reportage and/or fast breaking
sports probably are better served with an R8, but that's not my
bag.

Re: your post on the 35/Summilux M ASPH. They are quite
available, at least in mail order channels. I can believe that the
fairly new 24 ASPH and the brand new 35/Summicron ASPH are limited
at this time, but not the 35/1.4 ASPH M.

I sold a very recent production 35/2.0 M on Usenet to buy the
35/Summilux ASPH.  I got  $800+  for it; it had the pouch case,
hood, box etc. and not a mark on it. You should price yours a bit
below similar offerings of Tamarkin, Chatterton, Ury et.al. Less,
because of the waranty that a dealer will offer.

Good luck,
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

          Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only
   truth, but supreme beauty--a beauty cold and austere,
   like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of
   our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of
   painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of
   a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show.

           -- Bertrand Russell