Subject: Re: Closeup portraits. Was: M6, 50mm Summicron and more
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 97 17:46:22 +0200

ted grant:

     > I'm with you all the way! If I happen to be near by I'll hold you hit!
     > :)

     > Some of these so called news photographers work with 19 and 20 mil
     > lenses and are right in the face and are nothing but a great big pain
     > in the ass.

     > These are the types that perpetuate the animal image of news
     > photographers to the point that newspaper shooters do no not receive
     > any respect simply because of the animal pack in your face mentality.

     > It is much the same as the TV station camera guys stuffing their video
     > cameras in your face and then scream assult if you put your hand up to
     > stop them or save yourself from being eaten by their cameras.

     > ted

ted,

of course you are right but I think the unobstrusive M cameras are suitable to
take pictures from a group where you don't see only the backs, but some faces
as well. I'd never dare to take a portrait of someone I don't know and whom I
had never asked by going "the nearer the better". But in a group of well known
friends it improves the possibilities.

A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to take photos during a whole week
in my son's school where they were doing a circus project. It was
accepted that I was the photographer and the children behaved like I wasn't
there. For pictures of this kind I'd like to have a 28mm lens.

BTW I got some very impressive pictures using the Noctilux and the natural
light was so much better then the flash (Metz) I sometimes used.

christoph