Subject: Re: Model Releases/Preconceptions
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 22:29:36 -0500

Bill,

Boy you hit several things right on the head.

Editors in todays media do sit and watch the "news" as it happens and you
better damn well have what they saw on TV or have a good explanation as to
why you do not have it.

I used to have a sports editor who would ask for a specific play they had
seen on ESPN.  Boy was it fun when I went to UPI and got to move a photo
because it was the best image that told the story of the game and not
because some wordsmith had seen it "Live on ESPN"!

I think this attitude contributes more to the gang mentality of the media,
and is why it is so hard to get find a well rounded media outlet.

I also once was in a meeting at a paper I was interviewing for a job with
when the executative editor said I don't care what is the truth....we will
tell them (the readers) what we want them to know.  I turned this job down
and that paper went bankrupt in 2 years, but this fool is still working in
one of this nations largest newspaper chains.

One thing I used my "southern accent" for was to put off the other
photographers at major news and sporting events.  If they think you are some
hick who is lucky to get an image in focus they will not look where you are
going when you wander off from the pack to get a different angle that scoops
the hell out of what the "gang" is getting.   Of course this is harder to do
now that I shoot with Leica, people tend to think if you have one of these
you must be half way intelligent of maybe just rich. :)

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto