Subject: Re: recoated Summarit
From: pgs@pa.dec.com (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 20:59:37 -0700

   From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
   Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 18:13:00 -0700

   On  2 Jul 97,  Patrick Sobalvarro wrote:

   > P.S. A note about lens hoods: the day I bought the lens, I bought
   >      non-Leica frustum-shaped hood that fit it.  I worried that
   >      this quite narrow hood would cause vignetting, and so I later
   >      bought a Leica hood when I finally found one at a
   >      "reasonable" price, but now I see that either hood works
   >      fine, with no noticeable difference.  So don't be worried
   >      about vignetting with those little non-Leica frustum-shaped
   >      hoods that say "fuer Summarit" on them.

   I think you may mean, by frustum, Pat, a cut off pyramid, therefore
   a square cornered hood, though I know the word frustum as meaning
   a cut off pyramid OR cone. To me, it could mean either a conical or
   squarish hood. C'mon, Godfrey, my mathematician friend, what is a
   frustum usually?

Whoops -- sorry to be ambiguous.  I meant a truncated cone -- I hadn't
known about the truncated-pyramid meaning of frustum until you
mentioned it.  The sad thing is that I thought I was disambiguating
things by saying "frustum" for the non-Leica hood, by contrast with
the rectangular hood that Leica make (which is more of a truncated
pyramid).  Anyway.  The non-Leica hood is a truncated cone, and it
screws in, and works fine.  But it isn't as pretty as the rectangular
metal Leica hood, which fits around the lens barrel, has a nice
cut-out where it would block the viewfinder, and is rare and typically
expensive.

- -Patrick