Subject: Re: CANON 25/3.5 OR LEICA 24/2.8
From: "Jim Bielecki" <jbieleck@northland.lib.mi.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:01:26 -0500

> From: "Kai Ling OH"<okl2@hdb.gov.sg>
> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:24:49 +0800
> Subject: CANON 25/3.5 OR LEICA 24/2.8
>
> Anybody  with  experience  with  Canon  25/3.5? I heard that is a very
good
> lens,  but how is the flair control, near distance and colour rendition?
No
> doubt  Leica  24/2.8 ASP is the best 24 mm lens many can buy, but the
price
> is 1.5-2 time higher than Canon25/3.5. Which one should I go?

Canon's 25mm is a darn good lens.  Sharp and contrasty at mid-apertures and
very compact to boot.  This lens on a M-3 is often my preferred camera/lens
combination.  My only gripe is the relatively thin aperture ring which can
make changing F-stops somewhat fiddly.  I have no doubt that the Leica 24mm
is much better (especially wide open), but for the price that the Canon
25mm often goes for, this lens is hard to pass up.

If you go with the Canon, try and find one with the 25mm finder (which is
amazingly bright).