Subject: Re: Basement Kodachrome... or Film Forever!
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 97 16:37:41 -0400

>I always find it curious that Kodachrome is "so complex".

E6 and C41 films have the dye already in the film; during processing, you
bleach out the dye that you don't use.

With Kodachrome, dyes are added to the film's three color layers during
processing. You need to separatly dye each of the layers; this takes many
more chemicals and many more steps, and some of the chemicals are very
toxic.

>BTW - Paul, there is also a Kodachrome plant in Toronto Canada - making two
>[2] in North America!  And did not someone post here recently that Kodak
>was coming out with a Kodachrome Mini-Lab?  Don't see why not, if it can be
>done by amateurs in their basements!

I think if you check, you will find that Kodak only has one Kodachrome
plant in North America, down from something like 11 plants. It's in
Dallas. I am aware that there are several Kodachrome labs not owned by
Kodak, also in North America.

- - Paul