Subject: 50 mm lens comparison
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@eagle.wbm.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:58:48 -0600

Re: the Stealth Cammo M6
[Gawd George, you'll start a riot with a goodone like that! :)
Thanks Ted.]

On a more serious note, I would like to know if someone could give me an
objective [sic] comparison between the current 50mm Summicron-M and 50mm
Summilux-M lenses.  The French CI tests rate the Summicron as a **** and
the Summilux as a *** in terms of overall lens performance.
   Dennis Laney, in "Leica Lens Practice" also seems to show a preference
for the Summicron, suggesting that it just a tad better than the Summilux,
even at smaller apertures.
   What seems to puzzle me is that this supposed difference in lens
performance does not reflect the cost of these lenses, with the Summicron
being much less expensive.  Am I missing something here? Are the CI tests
biased towards performance wide open, or across the entire range of f-stops?

- -GH