Subject: Re: 100 APO-MACRO
From: Bill Christensen <kangwei@interaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:03:01 -0500

JamesV wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A quick question to you all: Can the Elmirit-R 100mm f/2.8 APO MACRO be
> used as an all purpose lens or is it limited to macro photography?  I am
> wondering if it's optical design limits it in any way.

The 100 macro is a superb lens at all distances and at all f-stops.  It
performs beautifully in all fields of photography with excellent color
transmission.  The images has a special intangible quality.
Comparatively, the 100 f4 looks flat.  The only limitation of the lens
is in portraiture of women.  The lens is so razor sharp it is absolutely
unforgiving.  Every facial hair etc. will be revealed.  A softening
filter is recommended for such work.  With that one exception, it is a
great lens.

Bill Christensen