Subject: R8 Motors
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:19:59 -0800

ted grant wrote:
>  I'm just waiting for two more when they
> can supply with motors and a third motor for the camera in hand. But it really
> is a hummer of a camera once you get using it.

Ted,

Luis, who was recently in Solm, said the motors are still in R&D trying
to figure out how to make them work.  Apparently having lots of trouble
with the mechanical motor/body connection.

You would think there was enough experience between Nikon, Canon, Leica,
Minolta, etc. to figure out a motor--it is certainly the lowest
technology of all.

Anyway, he said don't expect them anytime soon.

And I understand about the games.  Perhaps it's what is being smoked in
the peace pipe!

I am going to try getting up there.  From what I have been reading about
Victoria, it would be a place to live once I get independent with
stock.  Of course, since I have only done $700 worth of work out of ;San
Diego this year, maybe it doesn't matter already.

All I want is a small house on the water where I can keep a sailboat.
That's all.  Nothing much.

The recent issue of Outdoor photographer has a cover by Randy
Wells--tree, mountain, moon.  Perhaps you have seen it.  The credits
tell about him shooting it with an R6.  But the reproduction is awful.
They ran a long feature several months ago of pix by Japanese
photographer showing African wildlife--all shot with Leica--and the
reproduction was awful.

So I looked up Randy in ASMP guide and called him in Bellvue.  He is
with TSI and Sharpshooters.

So I said, wonderful photo, but awful reproduction.  He said, thankyou,
I was depressed for two days after that came out.  said it was done from
a repro dupe, he'd offered to send original, they assured him it was
fine, etc.  Ever heard this story???

Anyway, he assured me it was not the Leicas.  He said he now uses Leicas
for everything (has gotten rid of medium format) except long lens
wildlife stuff, where he uses Canon.  Said the new Canon 70-200 is
nearly as good as Leica glass (tho' he didn't have experience with the
new 70=180).  He favorites were the 85, 180 f/2 and the 280 f/2.8.  Said
he just doesn't shoot backlit subjects with the Canon because of flare,
but no problem with Leica.  I continue to think this flare issue is an
unsung quality Leica that they need to capitalize on.  He did stress
that the differences between lens manufacturers was closing quickly,
that Leica was no longer that far ahead, and use of the system also had
to do with mechanical feel and what you liked.

Both Chris Hoover and Luis have offered to sell me their R5s.  Chris's
is little used and Luis has his in shop for overhaul, so will be like
new.  Of course, I figure Luis's will know how to take great pictures
already, having so much experience!!

ciao,

donal