Subject: Re: Noncoated filter
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 08:37:26 -0700

At 10:10 AM 6/12/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>to save the reputation of the Hama company: I just come
>>from the dealer again, and he told me that the filter is
>coated, but not multicoated. He said that it would not
>make much of a difference to take the multicoated version,
>because a polarization filter anyway absorbs at least half
>of the light. What do you think?
>
>Regards, Rainer

Again, you are dealing with adding another two glass-to-air surfaces to the
Leica lens formula. You should ALWAYS choose the very best available, the
one which causes the least damage, when putting something into the light
path of your lens. A single coating reduces reflections to 1.5% and multi
coating can reduce it to 0.2% . It depends upon what your photography is
used for, snaps, fine art, commercial, reportage, ??? Only you can make the
judgement call. Even the very best filter will cause problems in certain
situations. A filter less than the best will cause problems in more
situations. You won't know until you are there. Why take a chance.

Jim