Subject: ccMail SMTPLINK Undeliverable Message
From: Postmaster@gatekeeper2.un.org (ccMail SMTPLINK)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 97 22:19:44 EST

User Surachai V. at UNESCAP4 is not defined

 Original text follows
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:02:52 -0800
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Black or Chrome?
Sender: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

ted grant wrote:
 The "amateur look" helps and if you kinda look like a bit
> fumbling goes along way also.

Ted and gang,

I really think it has more to do with attitude than camera.  Of course,
a small camera and right attitude together help.

I remember back when I started shooting and doing a lot of documentary,
that I trained myself (after reading about HCB "disappearing" when he
clicked the shutter) to pull in my energy, to suspend my judgements.
When I did that I went places and shot things and felt invisible,
whether street shooting or inside a situation.

Interestingly, when I changed careers to doing advertising copywriting,
I found that I had pulled in my energy so much, that I was invisible in
meetings.  So I had to learn to project energy and dominance to get
heard.

Now I am somewhere in between, but starting to be able to bounce back
and forth more easily.

I read an interview with Eddie Adams in which he was asked how he could
photograph a "monster" like Saddam Hussein.  He said he liked Hussein
- ----while he photographed him-------otherwise it would be impossible.
It was simply a professional need to adapt your attitude to the job at
hand, to suspend your judgement and be a journalist.  I'm sure Fred Ward
has similar experiences and ability.

I find that when I suspend judgements, that the discomfort is suddenly
gone--both mine and that of the people I may be around.

Donal Philby
San Diego