Subject: ccMail SMTPLINK Undeliverable Message
From: Postmaster@gatekeeper2.un.org (ccMail SMTPLINK)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 97 20:23:57 EST

User Surachai V. at UNESCAP4 is not defined

 Original text follows
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:11:04 -0500
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Subject: Re: Black or Chrome?
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Sender: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Donal wrote:
>I really think it has more to do with attitude than camera.  Of course,
>a small camera and right attitude together help.
>
>I remember back when I started shooting and doing a lot of documentary,
>that I trained myself (after reading about HCB "disappearing" when he
>clicked the shutter) to pull in my energy, to suspend my judgements.
>When I did that I went places and shot things and felt invisible,
>whether street shooting or inside a situation.

This is so very true.  A lot of your attitudes are percieved by those
around you. If you feel you are an unwanted intruder, then people are going
to notice you and resent your being there.  If however you act as who me a
photographer? I am supposed to be here.  You can get the images you need.
Recently when photographing people who had lost EVERYTHING in the flooding
of Falmouth, Ky.  I had this experience.  I could litterally shoot with a
20 mm lens in peoples faces with out bothering them.  You must identify
with your subjects and have compasion for them and they will sense this and
not resent your being there with a camera.  The people I was photographing
were an extended family on one street in an entire subdivision washed away
by the Licking river.  This was one of the worst natural disasters I have
covered and I was once agian amazed by peoples resilliance to bad things
happening in their lives.  These people (The grandmother, mother, daughter,
uncle) all lost their houses (a total of 5 as the uncle was living in one
and restoring another) and everything in them.  And they spent the day
allowing me to folow them around shooting their pictures talking with them
sharing with me their life stories of growing up in the neighborhood.

>I find that when I suspend judgements, that the discomfort is suddenly
>gone--both mine and that of the people I may be around.

An uncomfortable photographer is an intruding photographer while one
comfortable with the situation and people can blend into the surroundings
and dissapear.

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto