Subject: RE: Cleaning M's
From: "Marvin Moss" <Leikon35@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 97 03:22:40 UT

There are many inexpensive phenolic spanners or ring removers that
repairmen use but usually a rubber cork or a rubber glove will allow you
to remove the ring.

For loosening dried oil in lens mounts, ether is usually used, but be
careful..!!.
I use a spray can of Radio Shack Circuit Board Cleaner sprayed on to a
Q Tip and quickly applied around the ring. Be careful not to get any ether
on your lens as it will destroy the coating.

I dont understand why people will take their automobiles in for servicing
but are reluctant to spend any money getting their delicate cameras
serviced.  Leitz used to recommend having you Leica serviced once every
five years but I know of many that are 50 years old and have never been
touched and only need a little use to make them purr.