Subject: Black, Crome and Tape
From: "gess" <gess@icon.co.za>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 00:29:51 +0200

Hi

I have numerous Nikon bodies and my M4P, M6 and M3. Everything that can be,
in particular names and logos, gets taped up with black gaffer tape, (cloth
backed and sold in large rolls for the movie industry). In fact I use it
all over the place when I'm working as it doesn't often damage surfaces ...
it pulls off wood, paint, etc without leaving any mark.

It's very easy to pull round corners and when you take it off the camera it
doesn't leave goo all over the place. If there is any residue, a small wipe
with alcohol cleans it straight off. I've found that if you tape the
corners, bottom and other high-wear areas of the cameras you can use them
day in and day out and when you pull all the tape off there are no
scratches, no worn corners, etc.

Unfortunately South Africa, where I live, has a higher than average crime
rate and any camera which looks expensive gets unwanted attention. Once the
Leicas (black) are nicely taped up and the name, red dot, etc obliterated
with tape, they don't even get a second glance ... very useful! I often get
asked why I work with such 'funny old cameras'!

Best wishes

Harold

My e-mail addresses are as follows:

haroldgess@journalist.com

gess@icon.co.za

Please use either of these to reach me and, lest you lose sight of it, have
a nice day!