Subject: Re: dependability
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 97 11:28:25 +0200

Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net> wrote among other things:

>Interestingly, dependability issues come up mostly with expensive
>cameras.  I remember reading about Chris Jons who works with NGS a
>lot saying he typically takes on a job to remote areas 6 Nikon f4s
>and 6 N90s.

And has them airlifted to him...how remote and untouched can it
then really be? ;-). Interestingly - and relating to your previous
post, Donal - SS puts a couple of Leicas and a couple of lenses in
his bag and takes a local bus. Which in part enables him to be "like
the locals" and get close.

But to the main issue. Complex equipment obviously allows more ways
for things to go wrong. No matter what the sales reps. tout I'm
convinced that top quality mechanical equipment is more reliable
than electronic and this tends to show at extreme conditions.

The bottom line is that when you get your equipment tested before a
trip/assignment an experienced mechanic can tell if a mechanical
camera shows wear or corrosion damage inside that might prove to be
fatal later on. Electronic ones go abruptly. Without seeing any
advance signs of trouble in the microcircuits one of them can
develop a tiny crack in the circuit coating/connections and
consequently the whole shutter dies. Humidity is perhaps the worst
enemy. Moreover I doubt that the electronic circuits are as
resistant to extreme temperature variations. Just too many materials
with varying temperature characteristics mixed up.

All this of course compounds. You can send a N90 to the Arctic
Circle once and chances are it does allright. This is how the
advertisers tend to find "the proof". But what happens on its fifth
trip?

Mechanical SLR's can be extraordinarily reliable. Nikon F, F2,
Canon F-1's, and some others all have long and impeccable record.

On tired moments on the road I sometimes scold myself for carrying
more than one of these heavy beasts. For reliability reasons I
wouldn't need to. But if I have one stolen or want to shoot color as
well there better be at least two.

Regards,

Kari Eloranta

Photographers are the most loathsome inconvenience. They're
malicious. They're the pits.	Paul Newman