Subject: Re: 180mm:2.8 Elmarit-R; Other R lens advice.
From: orath@astral.magic.ca (Otto Rath)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 02:37:09 -0400

>>      Of course the 50mm Sumicron-R and 90mm Elmarit-R would do likewise
>>and in user condition wouldn't cost much more... but does either of these
>>focus very close?
>
>John,

The Elmarit R 2.8/90mm (#11239, the first 5-element version, ser.VII filter
will focus to 28 in. and with Elpro-CU.VII close-up lens reaches 1:3. Sharp
even with Elpro (Macrotar).
Summicron R 2/90mm has same close-up range as the above, uses same Elpro
(Macrotar).
I have both of them, and find the 2.8/90mm has a  bit more contrast, it's
excellent with Elpro.
The Elpro's are specially designed 2-element Achromats for the above
lenses; Leitz had them long before Nikon with their similar T-type CU.
attachments;  Minolta had similar units for SRT cameras in 55mm dia., they
would fit the newer R-lenses.

>I used to own a Serries VIII 180 2.8 and found it to be a great lens.  Yes
>it is heavy, but heavy is a relative term-compared to a 300 2.8 it is
>light, and I shoot one of those hand held, so I did not find the weight of
>the 180 prohibitive.  The lens turned out superb results. IMHO

The first heavy Elmarit R 2.8/180mm (11919, 5-element,ser. VIII filter)
will focus only to 6ft.8in.
You could add the Extension-Tube set to get closer; there are no ser.VIII
Macrotars.
I like to use a monopod with the old 180mm or Leitz tabletop tripod with
large BS head as chestpod; it balances beautifully on its tripod-socket.
Hope this helps!
greetings -otto-

>I also used to own the 90 2.0 Summicron R and this was my favorite R lens.
>Very sharp, compact, fast, and an all around joy to use.  I do not remember
>about the close focusing of the lenses however, as I do not do a lot of
>that myself.
>
>Happy hunting,
>
>Harrison McClary
>hmphoto@delphi.com
>http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto

otto w. rath, 504-633, northcliffe blvd. toronto on. M6E 3M3 canada (416)
783 5128