Subject: Re: 180mm:2.8 Elmarit-R; Other R lens advice.
From: Colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 18:46:30 -0600

uskanb2n@ibmmail.com wrote:

>       How does the old style series VIII 180mm f:2.8 Elmarit compare
> with the newer version? I hear tell the newer version is much smaller &
> lighter. Is it equal (or better) optically? ( I have the old style & it
> weighs a ton...)
>
>       Further, my Leicaflex outfit has a big hole in the middle: I only
> have a 35mm PA Curtagon and the 180.
>
>       I had been thinking of buying the 60mm Macro, but that duplicates
> the 55mm Nikkor which mostly lives on the copy stand, So it occurred to
> me to inquire about the 35-70mm Vario-Elmar, which seems to be available
> at a reasonable price used (for Leica). Is the quality close to the
> 35-50-90mm fixed focal length lenses? How close does it focus? If it
> could get down to about postcard size, or even typing paper size, and
> the quality is acceptable, (my previous experience with zooms hasn't been
> encouraging) one could make my Leicaflex outfit much more useful.
>
>       Of course the 50mm Sumicron-R and 90mm Elmarit-R would do likewise
> and in user condition wouldn't cost much more... but does either of these
> focus very close?
>
>       Comments & suggestions please.
>
>                                           - John Lowther

John,

I have a very early 180 2.8 that gives very nice results, but I would
guess the newer ones to be a little better, they would certainly be
lighter.

I would recommend the 50 and the 90.  If you get the older ELPROs the
close focus performance is very good.  A good zoom lens on a Nikon will
cost half as much as the Leica and be comparable.  I would stick with
the straight lenses on the Leicaflex.

Have fun,

Colin