Subject: Re: Luftwaffe & Swastika & Eagle
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 09:30:29 -0700

For the last year or so, the Russians have imported into the US a whole
series of very inventive Leica copies, OFTEN inventing cameras which
have never previously existed.  These are copies in the literal sense,
with the Leica name on their top plate.

Perhaps the most interesting  was a "Leica Stereo camera prototype" in
its own presentation case.  Only $1500. Nicely done too.

My favorite is a beautifully done Leica A with Anastigmat lens  and
vertical RF, complete with slight brassing to show wear!  Sitting on a
shelf from a distance, it looks like the real thing.

Also present was a "regular" Leica A with Elmar and brassing.  I also
like the fake Luxus they turn out.  Some poor guy got duped and then
spent two months at the LA camera shows trying to sell it for $4000.

Engravings include various combinations of real Leica Military
markings.  Exotic variations include the replacement of the body
covering with some sort of nicely finished dark red wood, and a version
with a Nazi Eagle atop Swastika--placed on the right front of the camera
(self timer position).  Non Leica Russian inventions include Black
unmarked Kievs and Kievs (and lenses) with an olive camouflage finish.

I can just imagine them sitting around at the local bar talking about
"What will the crazy Americans buy next?" ------ and then going back to
the shop and making it!!

Stephen Gandy