Subject: Re: Leica Binocular Question
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.nl>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 12:36:14 +0000

On  8 Jun 97 at 10:00, Colin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a good pair of binoculars for looking at targets on a
> rifle range.  Something in the 8-10 power, possibly with a rangefinder
> reticle would be good.  Leica is obviously the brand of choice.  This is
> primarily for air rifle so I'm probably not going to be looking more
> than 100 yards, 50 mostly.  The binoculars the have caught my eye so far
> have been the older 'classics'-- pre-war through the sixties.  I'm not
> too familiar with the older model designations.  Could anyone give me a
> short summary of the models, and how they compare with the similar Zeiss
> models?  Any recommendations?

Assuming you have a soft spot for odd optics like most of us: there
is a hard to find, but very nice electro mechanical gyroscopic
binoculars available from Russian sources. 12x40, and with a rock
steady image where the Zeiss 20x60S (passive mechanic) as well as
the Canon 15x45 IS (electronic) can only dream of, and much, much
cheaper (US$500).
I bought one about two years ago, and finally sold it to a big Dutch
monocular collector. He only had a few binoculars in his collection,
but he just had to have this one....that same soft spot I guess....;-))

If hope to have a chance to look through a 'Fraser'(?) gyroscopic night
vision binocular in a few weeks....anyone ever heard of this
(military) brand? Demo will be on a ship on high sea....:-))

- --
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

      The desire to understand