Subject: Re: Performance of 2x Extender with R50/2.0
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 02:14:17 -0400

   From: "Lamberti" <dataface@ozemail.com.au>
   Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 06:52:22 +1000

   Hi,

   I have noticed that many of you own and use the Leica 2x Extender.
   I am contemplating purchasing one to use with my 50/2.0, as part of a
   lightweight travel kit.  Aside of the loss of 2 stops, how well does this
   combination perform in contrast to a fixed focal tele, such as the 90/2.0
   or 90/2.8.

I used to have a 2X Extender-R, but traded it to a LUG member as part
of a deal for a lens.  I was satisfied with it optically (although any
extender reduces acutance and I did see a reduction with this one),
but I found I simply didn't think of using it often.  I think that
perhaps being in a situation where I didn't have a 135 with me I might
have felt otherwise, but if I am using my R cameras I carry a
backpack, and the 135 fits in it just fine.  I suppose that one thing
I found inconvenient when using the Extender-R with an R6.2 was that
one cannot see the set aperture in the viewfinder when using the
Extender-R with the R6.2 -- the set aperture is viewed through a
little window below the protruding part of the pentaprism, but with
the Extender in place, the aperture ring is not in its usual position.
I don't know if automatic bodies might do this differently, perhaps
using the meter coupling pin to read the set aperture for display in
the finder.

- -Patrick