Subject: Re: meter spot
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 97 09:02:30 -0400

>"The M6 meters a circle that is about 2/3 the height of the frame, so you
>need to estimate where it is by looking at the frame line in use."
>

>As I type, I am looking at a photo trying to make sense of the above
>statement.  Why would the "circle" not be located exactly in the center of
>the viewfinder?

You need to estimate the size of the circle, so that you can tell where
in the scene you are metering. By "where it is," I meant that you need to
estimate the area (within a frameline) that the meter is reading. It is
always in the center of the frame.

The circle doesn't physically change size. The meter reads the light that
reflects off of a white circle on the center of the first shutter
curtain. However, the light that falls on the shutter curtain is the
light that passes through the lens, so the meter only "sees" a portion of
what the lens "sees." A short focal length lens will have a wider angle
of view than a longer lens, so with a shorter focal length the meter sees
a wider area than with a longer lens. Because you always see a (little
bit bigger than) 28mm angle of view in the viewfinder, no matter which
lens is attached, you need to learn to estimate what the meter sees when
you look in the viewfinder. You do this by estimating a circle about 2/3
the height of the frameline for the lens you are using. With a 135mm lens
attached, the circle covers an area about the width of the rangefinder
patch. With a 28mm lens attached, it would be taller than the the 50mm
frame. You can memorize references like this for each lens that you use,
but I find it much easier and more intuitive to use the 2/3 frame-height
estimate.

If you had an SLR, the circle would always be the same size in the
viewfinder no matter what lens you used, since you see exactly what the
lens sees. On the M6, the meter is looking throught the lens but you are
looking throught a separate viewfinder.

- - Paul