Subject: Re:
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 21:50:38 +0100 (BST)

At 12:43 04/06/97 -0700, you wrote:
>At 04:58 PM 6/4/97 +0100, you wrote:
>>At 23:27 03/06/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>>"The M6 meters a circle that is about 2/3 the height of the frame, so
>>>you need to estimate where it is by looking at the frame line in use."
>>>
>>>As I type, I am looking at a photo trying to make sense of the above
>>>statement.  Why would the "circle" not be located exactly in the center
>>>of>>>the viewfinder?
>>
>>It is. No one said it wasn't!
>>Joe B.

>NO OFFENCE Joe B., but there is a difference between 2/3 and 1/2!!!!  If
>"It is." then why would one have to estimate where "it is" as in the above!!!!!

I think I can see where the confusion comes from. The M6 metering circle
is situated in the centre of the viewfinder, so, yes, the centre of it is
situated half way up, where the rangefinder rectangle is- the centre of the
metering area is always in the same place. The diameter of this metering
circle is 2/3 of the height of whatever viewfinder frame is in use. So you
don't estimate where it is so much as how big it is.
So, as you change from one lens to another of different focal length you
will use a different viewfinder frame that occupies a larger or smaller area
of the viewfinder, and the metering area will always be a circle that has a
diameter 2/3 of the height of the frame for the lens you're using, and that
circle, regardless of how big or small it is, will always be
bang in the middle of the viewfinder.

Joe B.