Subject: Re: Multiple bodies
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 15:57:44 -0800

Dr. Elliot Puritz wrote:

> Wait a minute Donal!  Was that Miss Budweiser the boat, or the real
> Miss Budweiser?!  If it was the real Ms. Bud...well, what a sequence!
> He ought to be able to afford ten R8s and associated lenses with the
> commission on that one!

The boat.  He also did some shots on request for August Busch of him in
cockpit, etc. and driving.  Trying to get paid was a pain.  He settled
with PR people on $600 plus expenses to do photos part time for the
weekend, but when he sent bill they hemmed and hawed and said they get
stuff regularly for $200 and how much work could it be, and drug feet,
tried to make him feel like he was ripping them off, passed him around
to several people to talk to.  He finally had to call August Busch
directly who got on telephone and got him paid.  And of course all the
PR flacks are pissed at him for going over their sloped foreheads and
swore they'd never give him a job again.

And I, a friend, had to listen to the stories and buy him expensive
Italian coffee house coffee while doing so.

And Powerboat magazine paid him $50 for use of one frame and credited
another photographer with the photo.  And Allsport claims they have
never sold the sequence (another photographer friend saw the photos in
the Best Sports photos book, crediting Allsport and my friend) but he
can't find a copy so they stonewall him.  Watch out for them and PPL in
England--not very ethical, I've heard, from more than one source.

Donal Philby
San Diego