Subject: DOF Notch in M3
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 01:30:57 -0400 (EDT)

Originally my circa1950's M3 didn't have the notch. When I had the camera
routinely serviced by Leitz to get rid of mildew in the viewfinder in the
'70's, it came back with the notch.

Re RF wipe-out in the M's, that occurred only when some cross-lighting
confused me rather than the camera optics. The M3 has a ridge around the RF
window which acts as a hood to help avoid wipe-out due to flare. When
shooting in backlight, I sometimes lost the RF image. But it doesn't happen
often.

I use a Nikon AF SLR from time to time. Action can sometimes confuse it, but
not often. The M3 RF is only confused when I am. It's not possible for me to
follow focus with the M3, so I preset the focus after making a few reference
finds. I've seldom been disappointed even with 90mm lenses at any f-stop.

As for digital pro 35's, I can only surmise that they're useful in news
media, where quality is a tradeoff for timeliness. Besides half-tone screens
usually degrade even the best images. I no longer trust AP news shots because
they've moved to digital.

The NYT assured me that they don't edit digital shots. They sent me a
detailed post about their ethical standards which I have in a file someplace.
I know The Times no longer sends readers chemical prints. They use a quality
digital printer on emulsion type paper. Most folks wouldn't be able to tell
the difference. I don't know whether local Times staff photographers used
digital. It seems reasonable that they use both types. I wouldn't trust a
digital camera on its own.

Bob R