Subject: Re: Rangefinder functionality
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 97 20:24:43 -0400

>Some time ago there were posts complaining about certain light
>situations causing the M6 rangefinder to not be 'visible'  I don't
>remember all the particulars.  For some strange reason it did not seem
>to affect earlier M models.  I don't have the M6 and can't comment from
>personal experience.
>
>Maybe someone can repost the problem and determine if that is what you
>are experiencing.

Dennis,

I've noticed this on occasion. I've been using an M3 and M4-2 for many
years, and had not noticed this until I started using an M6. The
rangefinder seems to blank out sometimes when there is very bright light
shining directly into the camera, the sort of conditions that would be
likely to cause ghosts and flare; what is happening seems to be flare or
reflections within the rangefinder--the rangefinder spot turns solid
white. Usually you can move the camera slightly to alleviate the problem,
then re-frame if necessary after focusing. It's not a big deal to me, but
as I said, I had not noticed it with other cameras (I've been using
M-series cameras since about 1982) but have noticed it several times with
the M6 in only a few weeks. (I bought one last month--it was the rebate
that did it.)

Does this happen with the M4-P? I had thought it might be a
characteristic of the 28-35-50-75-90-135 viewfinder.

- - Paul