Subject: Re: Multiple bodies & bags, too
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Sat, 31 May 97 12:10:34 +0200

adi <adisoon@pl.jaring.my> wrote among other things:

>I do realize the many benefits of multiple bodies. However, my
question arose from the school of thought, that said simplification
>and less superfluous excess will enable us photogs to get to the
>heart and soul of the subject. Flowery as this may be, in essence
>you approach your subject, or the person as another human being who
>just happens to have a camera in hand. This approach is less
>intrusive than have multiple cameras dangling all over or having to
>carry a huge, oversized camera bag around. The very design of

I do subscribe to this. THE forte of M-Leicas is that it enables
one to be almost invisible photographer. just a bystander. So why
counter this by hanging all sorts of other gadgets in you neck. Sure
you miss a few shots here and there because you don't have long
glass etc. but the fact of life is that you always lose shots. If
you look like a christmas tree with multiple bodies dangling, you
loose a lot of them, in spontaneous situations anyway.

I usually carry a small hip bag that can take my M4P and two
lenses, 35 & 50 Summicrons. Very small padded bag by GaraGear,
actually an accessory bag, but can be simply converted to hold the
lenses at the bottom and the body on top. Only a bit bigger than
than the human hand. Dark green and nobody pays any attention to it.
Sometimes I use canvas army surplus bag of same size. Looks like
s**t, nobody thinks of stealing it, but they are unfortunately
unpadded.  Meter goes to the wrist, attached with velcro. I always
wear a black T-shirt - the camera is hard to discern from it.

My second body, if I choose to carry it, is in a backbag.
Completely ordinary daybag that everyone carries these days, again
somewhat modified inside. There is the F-1 with 85 or 24 on it and I
can grab it in about five seconds.

I find that this arrangement works pretty well if you are just
basically shooting life around you. Inconspicuous yet pretty fast
and gives me some flexibility as into the backbag I can select the
equipment (lenses, filters, tabletripod etc.) I think I might need.

Coming back from my latest trip just recently I checked the bags at
Calument in NYC. I wouldn't trade my set-up to any of them. The
camerabag industry seems to live on egos.

Well, not quite... My question: When you hang around in some
perhaps not so secure neighborhood who knows where how do you
protect your the gear you leave in the hotel? Have a Halliburton
etc. and chain it to the plumbing? Less weighty alternatives? In
many places the hotel receptions refuse to keep anything else than
envelope size things. Any good ideas to share?

Kari Eloranta