Subject: Re: Dupes from colour negatives
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 08:55:17 -0800

Ian Stanley wrote:
>   I just went through my issues of Leica Fotografie International and in
> issue 6/96 there is an interesting article on shooting with colour negs.
> The article is by Luis Castaneda, who apparently submits around 10,000
> images yearly to The Image Bank.  According to the article he has made the
> switch to colour negatives.  I have seen colour prints of his made from
> negatives instead of transparencies and they are very good.

Ian,

I recently spent several days with Luis when he was here to give a
lecture and slide show to the local ASMP chapter.  We wandered San
Diego, shot stock, shot the bull, talked about Leicas and women (things
we both cherish) and personal work versus commercial.  And the changes
in stock (TIB hiring recent college grads with no experience  to edit
submissions by photographers with years of experience and thereby
controlling the economic future of the photographer).  His lecture, by
the way, generated more positive feedback to the chapter officers than
any event in recent history.

And  he shoots almost exclusively chrome, mostly Velvia, for TIB
submissions.  He primarily shoots neg for available darkness stuff and
color correction problems, and mostly holds these for personal files.
He also does all his own processing--E6, BW, C-41 and printing of same.
All with Jobo.

He is currently in Spain and Germany shooting for Leica and Minox
promotion.  And this summer he will be in Guatemala for a large
exhibition of his work (which he printed) and as a guest of the
government.  He said Guatemala is his favorite place on earth for
photography.

As an aside, on a recent job I shot both Provia 1600 and Super G 800
pushed a stop on same scene (mercury vapor lights only (flammable area)
with exposures in the 30 @ f/4 range.  Provia was brutal,  but  the
color, grain and sharpness and shadow detail of the SuperG is just
stunning.  Did one hour photo at good lab.  Prints and negs off to
agency.  They can flatbed scan the 4x6 prints for position, scan the
negs on the drum scanner, correct on the computer and we all live
happily ever after.  My only complaint with color negs is that it is
difficult to pull a selection to keep for files or portfolio while
waiting (maybe forever) for images to come back from client.  Gotta
getta scanner, I guess.

Donal Philby
San Diego