Subject: Re: M4-P film advance....
From: "Stefan Kahlert" <uzs13b@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 13:08:48 +0000

> From: Kim Sherman <ksherman@cottenmusic.com>
> Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 14:52:40 -0500
> Subject: M4-P film advance....
> dear Lug friends,

intro snipped...
> i was mid-roll when, suddenly, i would advance the
> film, try to fire the shutter, only to have
> nothing happen.  i then tried "advancing" the
> film again.
>  after "advancing" the shutter again, i could
>  then press the shutter
> release and it would fire.  a few times during
> this roll of film, when i would have to advance
> the film the "second" time, the shutter would
> fire on its own during the advancement.
>
> is this a common problem with leicas, used or
> otherwise?  i'm glad i still have time left on my
> 90-day warranty, but i'm pretty bummed to be
> having trouble with my M4-P so SOON.

dear Kim,

I have/had the same problem with my M4-P which I received just a few
weeks ago. Two things are remarkably: It never happens as long as the
camera is empty and it may happen several times during one roll and
never with the next roll. I didn't do statistical
calculations on that but I think it varies from roll to roll.
I am now very carefull about how to insert the film and adjust the
perforation to the sprocket wheels. Since I started doing that
(four rolls so far) it didn't happen again and I hope the best that I
found the cause.

Just to mention that: My camera has been checked through at
Leica, Solms just before I began using it (The whole story is
somewhat longish).

best wishes

Stefan
- --