Subject: Re: M6 & Infra-red
From: ROB HEYMAN <rheyman@cynergy.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 20:56:06 +1000

ELabastida@aol.com wrote:

> Just a thought, as I remember, the M-6 has a white circle on the
> shutter for
> metering pourposes.  Perhaps that circle is a weak link whenever
> shooting
> infra-red film.
>
> Eric Labastida
> San Diego

Eric:

Thank you for your prompt reply to my dilemma, however the size of the
affected area is about half the size of the white circle on the blind. I
think it has to be aperture related because I have never noticed it on
pictures taken with an apertures larger than f11. This makes me think
that the edges are diffused enough at larger apertures to be less
noticeable.

It really became a problem when I photographed a grove of trees in a
barren landscape. The trees were in the bottom third of the image area
and what was meant to be a black sky had a faint "rising moon" effect
over the trees. Sounds great, but that is not what was there and not
what I wanted.

I must point out that I have used less than a dozen rolls in the Leica .
I cannot use it in the Canon EOS because the DX-code reader or the is
infra-red and fogs the film!!!  Looks like I'll have to dig out the old
manual Nikon for IR work.

Does anyone else have any suggestions before I contact Leica?

Thanks

Rob Heyman
Brisbane  Qld  Australia