Subject: Re: Leica 28mm, f 2.8 lens
From: doctorc8@stout.entertain.com (Henry Chu)
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 11:11:33 -0600

>Finally, I sold my older version 28mm M lens toward the purchase of the
>21mm.  Has anyone had experience with the current 28mm lens.
>
>Happy shooting,
>
>Richard Clompus, OD
>West Chester, PA, USA

Richard,

The current 28 2.8 Elmarit-M is a superb lens. Great contrast and
remarkably sharp--the photos taken with it are nice and crisp.  In fact, in
my uncontrolled, unscientific test of it and the 35 ASPH, f-stop for f-stop
the 28 produced sharper and "contrastier" images.

I bought the lens used.  Soon after getting it, the focus ring loosened
quite significantly.  I sent it to Leica USA for servicing.  However, the
front retaining fixture must have been glued in and an excessive amount of
solvent was used which ruined the coating on the front two elements.  I
then sent the lens back to them.  It went on a vacation to Solms for a
make-over.  It remained superb despite the trauma.

Henry