Subject: 2.8/90 Rankings
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 13:05:03 -0400

At 06:38 PM 5/16/96 +0200, Gerard Captijn wrote:

>Of Leica's 4 90mm lenses, the Elmarit-M, the Tele-Elmarit-M, the
>Tele-Elmarit and the Elmarit, todays Elmarit-M is the best, followed by the
>Elmarit in second-, the Tele-Elmarit-M in third- and the Tele-Elmarit in
>fourth position. Don't get too exited about the classification though, the
>differences are small, show predominantly wide open and almost disappear
>when stopping down.

Gerard

I'm curious as to your rationale for this ranking.  Perceived wisdom on
this side of the Atlantic is would probably rank the lenses thus:
Elmarit-M (small drop) Tele-Elmarit-M (small drop) Tele-Elmarit (large
drop) Elmarit.  I've owned the last three, and the Tele-Elmarit-M is
certainly the best of the lenses I've owned (three or four Elmarits, a
couple of Tele-Elmarits, a couple of Tele-Elmarit-M's, over the past five
or six years).

The Elmarit does not enjoy a particularly good reputation in this country,
though its flexibility by allowing the lens head to be used on the Viso and
Bellows enhances its usefulness.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!