Subject: Re: Fuji Astia vs. E100SW
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Fri, 9 May 97 20:46:27 +0100

>I've been shooting a lot of E100SW, and have recently been using Fuji's new
>Astia chrome. As any of you have tried the E100S & SW films know, these are
>some great emulsions. I have to say, though, that the Astia is head and
>shoulders above the Kodak stuff.
>
>The colors are brilliant and the results overall are wonderful. Fuji brought
>this one out to compete directly with the saturated E100 films, and has done
>a bang up job. Fuji claims that their film has a finer grain than Kodak's,
>and this seems to be the case. The film rates accurately at 100, and gains
>very little from underexposure. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has
>used Astia, and what your impressions are.
I just finished a thorough sensitometric test analysis on the Astia.
Using a perfectly neutral grey card (no not the Kodak one) and the
Macbeth chart I noticed:
the real speed of the Astia is closer to 80 and to very exact it is ISO64
the over/underexposure latitude is close to 2/3 stop either way
there is a slight blue cast in the neutral greys
the skin colours are very close as are the pastel colours in general
(very good conformity to the RGB densities)
the max density of the macbeth black patch is D=2.50 and of the white
patch D=0.28
this reduced contrast gives very good gradations of hue but not the
ultimate in sharpness
grain is very fine
special characteristic: the almost tactile representaion of the textures.
This film is a great companion to the Leica lens philosophy
Erwin Puts