Subject: Re: LHSA, Collecting, etc -Reply
From: David Stedman <DSTEDM@halcyon.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 15:39:40 -0700

Adi Soon wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Just a question, how do you manage to use your M3 regularly for 40 years
> and still keep in in perfect condition??
>
> --adisoon
>
> Dave Stedman wrote:
> >
> > I purchased my first Leica (a M-3) in 1957.  I agonized for months
> > before choosing the M-3 over a IIIF.  I still own that camera, use it
> > regularly, now 40 years later (it's in near perfect condition) it has
> > become very collectible.  In my Leica collection,  among others, I
> > have a couple of IIIF's, and I couldn't agree more, "lovely to look
> > at, but a little awkward to use.  I wouldn't trade my M-3 for
> > anything.  I purchased a M-6 not to long ago, and returned it. I
> > really like the M-3 better.  I'm sure others wouldn't agree, but
> > those are my thoughts on the subject.
> >
> > Dave Stedman

Constant vigilance!!!
I will have to admit, the black crackle paint around the rear "door" is
getting a little thin, (it's still black, just a slightly smoother
patina than new) and there is an ever so slight amount of brassing
around the outer edge of the black viewfinder eyepiece, you nearly need
a loupe to see it. Other than that, it is "like new"

Dave Stedman