Subject: Re:Making Decisions: Leica-R lens V others
From: "Lucien_vD@compuserve.com" <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:26:09 -0400

Michael H. Reichmann wrote:

<One of the differences though is that Zeiss lenses don't have the same
<panache that those from Leica do. (Better marketing?) The 35mm f/1.4
<ASPH Summilux is a good example.  What a legend!  But, my 35mm f/1.4
<Distagon for Contax also has a glass aspheric element as well as a
<floating element for close-up aberation control.  Image quality wide
<opon is a joy.  It just doesn't have the "hype" that the leica
<equivalent does among cameraphiles.

Michael,

I use to own a CONTAX RTS III,  + a CONTAX 139MM and  35mm 1,4,  85mm1,4,
105mm 3,5 and a 180mm 2,8 lenses.

Good body, good lenses, but what I don't like at all was the poor quality
of the bayonet (aluminium in most cases), reflection on the diaphragm
blades and the system of hoods both metal (huge) or rubber (shabby for
Zeiss) .

Then I've moved to Leica. (I also use a Nikon AF with three lenses)

And I have to say that for me, the Leica lenses for SLR are the best non AF
(even AF) lenses if you consider all together (important !!!) : the quality
of construction , the ease of use and the results.(and the value second
hand when you want to sell them)

The finish of the bayonet, the raised red plastic index, the built-in lens
hood (even on the 28mm !!), the sweetness of the focusing ring etc..(even
the lens coupler, some don't whant to discuss about, is very well made, and
usefull).

There is nothing to compare with Nikon, Canon, Contax etc.. for the ease of
use when you are on the hurry, specially in the dark (theatre etc..) .
Change a lens on a NIKON, then on a Leica and you will feel what I mean.

The R5 and the R7 are good cameras, but not great. I think that now with
the R8, the Leica users may have a camera of the same level as Nikon or
Canon. (I don't have a R8)

The real strenght of the Nikon is the flash exposition : really
unbelievable with the N90 / F 90 and the F5 together with the SB 26, and
the AF when you need it.

Lucien
BELGIUM