Subject: Re: So you want to change the world with your Leica
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 06 May 97 17:03:50 EDT

Donal Philby wrote:  <Indeed, that our photography changes the photographer may
be the most overlooked quality of photojournalism>>>>>>

Donal,

I'm sure this is something many in this Leica users group may not have
experienced due to opportunities of life presented to others, who are working
photographers/photojournalists.

The changes can be both positive and negative depending on subject matter. I've
enjoyed many pleasures of life due to my Leicas "making me want to do
documentary" work.  However I have experienced just opposite effect that has
left me with nightmares at times many years later.

I stated before, the Leica camera due to its history of being the camera for
many of the renowned photojournalists of our time, leads many of us into
experiences that other cameras don't seem to do. I think primarily because the
Leica has been around almost as the camera of the official photographer on
Noah's Ark. :)

There is a "picture taking mystique" that comes with the camera when you
purchase one.  Some of us absorb that feeling as soon as we open the box, then
carry it as a torch for the rest of our lives being influenced by what has gone
before us.

Emotions run extremely high for those of us who work at photography in the
general sense of relating to people  and it seems the folks I have encountered
who are dedicated Leica photojournalists take it more seriously than some
others.  Even though emotionally distraught at times we can't just walk away
from the subject, even though we maybe devastated by what we are attempting to
record to show the world.

So the emotional experiences can be good, bad or ugly and it all comes back to
how you use your Leica. Quite frankly I wouldn't change my Leica life
experiences for anything.

ted