Subject: Re: Message delivery times!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 15:18:07 -0700

At 11:13 PM 5/5/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I was wondering whether other people have the same problem I have when
>sending messages to the LUG. If I send a message it often takes a few hours
>for it to return to me. In fact, I sometimes get replies before my own
>e-mail comes back on the LUG!
>
>Harold

This is simply the way various nodes and networks are structured. The
internet is basically phone lines, ISP's, internet nodes, high speed, low
speed, different routing for each message, error re-transmissions, queues,
address resolution, mail servers, routers, and somewhere out there at the
end of one of those old rickety phone lines, is your computer. I have had a
single known message take two days to get from Palo Alto (LUG) to me. Palo
Alto is 12 miles away by freeway. I often get responses to my posts long
before I ever see my original post.

Jim