Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 10:27:26 -0500 (EST)

At 02:10 AM 5/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Tina wrote:
>
><<Ted:  You can use your camera to make a difference in the world. There are so
>many people who do not know or refuse to admit how people in developing and
>undeveloped countries (including parts of the USA) live their daily lives.>>>>>
>
>Tina,
>I guess my travels to many of the horror stops of the world have turned me
>cynical.
>
>The last major piece I did was on Chernobyl and the victims. Primarily the
>children, who even today ten years later are still being affected through
cancer
>developing.
>
>And I spent time with the medical profession who are daily having to tend
to the
>young conscripts/soldiers who had to clean-up after the disaster, where
>thousands of these boys and men have died in the ensuing ten years.
>
>I worked my Leicas like they had never been worked before, capturing images
that
>after some days left me totally wiped out and crying, as I saw in these kids
>they could be my grandchildren. Unfortunately my material is languishing
>somewhere and as far as I know has not raised  funding for any of these
>children. When I give lectures and show the images and talk of the medical
>conditions, people are extremely moved and when it is over they leave and
return
>to their daily lives.
>
>Unfortunately this one photographer has done nothing but move peoples emotions
>for a time, while I become frustrated and depressed again!
>
>I hope this gives some idea of why I feel the way I do and I know there are
>other photographers like yourself who do have success at making life better for
>others and it is admirable. I just wish I could do something for these
kids, who
>did nothing but live in the path of a killer cloud of radio-active fallout!
>
>ted

Ted:  Please don't be so hard on yourself.  You have no idea how your
photographs have ultimately affected the lives of those who have seen them.
As far as you know, people have viewed them and gone on with their lives;
however, I'll guarantee you that some people have been affected and that
their memories of your pictures will prompt them to make changes in their
lives.  You may never know this but you have to believe that the influence
of your photos is spreading like ripples in a pond.  You were there in
Chernobyl for a reason.  I can certainly understand your bitterness.  I
often feel the same way. Please remind yourself that if you have moved
peoples' emotions with your photographs, you have succeeded.  The next step
is up to them, not you.  Please continue your work - best wishes.  Tina

Images by Tina Manley, ASMP
images@infoave.net
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>