Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 22:39:17 -0500 (EST)

At 10:39 AM 5/1/97 -0400, you wrote:

>On occaision I have thought I could change that with my cameras and images of
>the down trodden, and you know what?
>
>"It don't happen in this great big cold cruel world!"
>
>I've come to the basic conclusion of, "lifes like that" and there isn't really
>anything I can do, so why bother! Just go about the day doing what I can to
>enjoy my own element, that of my family and friends and don't annoy folks who
>you can't influence anyway.
>
>Look, life is too short to be knocking your brains out trying to do something
>about changing the world in countries where people are still as they were
>centuries ago. An example. Is there any point in crying over Afganistan and the
>religious war of that state?  If you personally went there right now and taking
>pictures of how these religious fanatics are trying to back the clock up
>hundreds of years, the chances are you'd have your "whats it cut off" and you
>shipped home in a box. If you were lucky.

Ted:  You can use your camera to make a difference in the world. There are
so many people who do not know or refuse to admit how people in developing
and undeveloped countries (including parts of the USA) live their daily
lives. You can use your camera to show them. In the past 10 years my
photographs have been used to raise over half a million dollars in hunger
relief funds from a five-county area in South Carolina. Half of the money
stays in South Carolina for Meals on Wheels programs and the other half goes
to Central America to help self-development agencies in Honduras and
Guatemala. I know the programs are improving the lives of the people because
I visit them every year. It's like the story of the child on a beach covered
with dying starfish who picks up one starfish and throws it back into the
sea. The mother says, "There are so many starfish, what difference will it
make to help one?"  The child says, "It makes a difference to that
starfish."  Tina
Images by Tina Manley, ASMP
images@infoave.net
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>