Subject: Television Woes
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 13:20:55 -0400

At 12:34 PM 5/2/97 EDT, John Lowther wrote:

>As a first expedient to exit this maelstrom, to resist or even be
>revolutionary, get rid of the television. Don't limit it, eliminate it!
>
>Chuck it out & make sure it breaks when you throw it in the can. If it
>didn't, fish it out and try again.
>
>Television images and messages make a bee-line for the subconscious while
>the viewer is literally entranced by the glowing box.
>
>The message is: Consume! Spend all you earn and more! Consume! Consume!
>Be good little wage slaves. Don't make waves, but don't you dare be happy
>either. If you were happy, you might not buy as many of our advertisers'
>products. You are a better consumer when you are unhappy. Then we can
>tell you our products will make you happy...

Did you ever notice how the most stable and nicest folks you know are the
non-TV crew?

The horrors of television go far, far deeper.  It sensationalizes
everything, from what should be a routine lifestyle choice (Ellen coming
out of the closet) to rather routine news.  The result is a society with a
thoroughly decentered value structure and this runs across the board.

I see this all the time in my jury trials -- nice folks on the panel, but
almost all are so terrorized by the !@#$ which passes for news on the 'film
at eleven' shows that they see even a minor hoodlum as a Major Threat To
Society.

Me?  I'll stick to reading Prochnow and Vergil and get my news from NPR
(whose pro-government, anti-individual responsibility biases I know and for
which I automatically adjust) and the Economist.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!