Subject: 500mm Mirror Lenses (partially off topic)
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 20:02:53

Fellow LugNuts:

I have need of a 500mm lens, for use as a backup in case ship movement is
too much for my 1000mm.  I can get any one of 3 used LEICA (made by
Minolta) f8 mirror lenses for CDN$ 1000, or a used TAMRON one for CDN$ 380
(about US$290).  Naturally I'd LOVE the Leica lens, but it's a bit rich for
my budget ...  particularly as it's for backup, and may never be used.

I do not expect the Tamron to be as good as the Leica lens, but does
anybody have experience with the TAMRON? Are there better reasonably priced
500mm's that I can put on my R5?  (Max price range is US$350.)
Recommendations please!

Curious point... As these are mirror lenses, with no apeture to control, a
simple T-2 mount would do.  But the Tamron uses an Adaptall mount!  Seems
needlessly expensive to me!

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

David Young          |  Many hands make light work.
Victoria, CANADA     |  Too many cooks spoil the broth.
youngs@IslandNet.co  |  I'm confused....