Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: jdrouin@islandnet.com (Jamie Drouin)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 09:06:02 -0800

Oddmund wrote:
>Photography is for sure communication for the masses, but if it doesn't
>serve the masses, or change anything, it is devoid of meaning.
(edit)

        This might be true, but who is to decide the qualifications for
'change'?  In other words, it is fairly obvious that if a single image
curbs the opinion of a group of people that a 'change' has occurred. But if
an image sitting quietly on a wall makes someone stop, if only for a
moment, and admire either an abstract concept or presentation of a familiar
object in (perhaps) a surprising manner, then has not a 'change' occurred
as well?

>There are a lot of "nice" original prints and books around. The problem is
>that you get tired of these nice, licked, well composed images. There are
>no message in them. No deeper universal identity. There are only emptiness.
>Such images just contribute to the general feeling of emptiness in the
>Western world. The Sterility Syndrome.
(edit)

         And I would say that this so-called 'sterility syndrome' is due
more to the manner in which we are taught to see.  I happen to work in a
public art museum and have alot of experience with the general publics
reaction to images.  It is interesting to overhear people's comments on an
image they deem as 'meaningless' and then I intervene and, in a polite and
friendly manner, give them some insight into the meaning of the image or,
perhaps, the intentions of the artist if I am familiar with them.  It never
fails to open a lively discussion over the work and they usually leave with
a very positive outlook on the artwork.  Unfortunately, ALL artwork is
meaningless if the masses are not capable of (or interested in)
understanding the messages within images.  I believe this is the fault of
the education system who typically views art as a filler between math class
and recess.

>There are pictures everywhere, and a lot of "pollution". We live in a
>picture world with a lot of stereotype and senseless images.
(edit)

         True, and this will always be the case.  To expect all artists to
not only share the same goal for 'universal communication' but to
consistently produce 'meaningfull' work is not only ridiculous, but
unrealistic.

                                                   Jamie.

Jamie Drouin Photography
http://www.islandnet.com/~jdrouin

'the means...exceed the measure of the imaginable'
 Hans Kessler, 16 April, 1933