Subject: Re: Leica M6 handgrip
From: Bob Parsons <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:57:18 +0100

Pascal <cyberdog@unicall.be> wrote:

>Recently I read some interesting messages about the Leica M6 handgrip
>(Leica catalogue item number 14405).
>
>Apparently, the handgrip has to be screwed onto the bottom plate of the
>Leica M6 with the same mechanism as for the bottom plate itself (handle).
>I take it that the handgrip is attached through the hole at the bottom
>right of the M6 (the same hole as for a tripod). Can anyone tell me this:
>
>- do you first have to unscrew the handgrip every time you open the
>camera bottom to replace/put new film (and subsequently remove the bottom
>plate), or can the bottom plate and the handgrip be removed together (in
>one piece)?
>- if the handgrip fits into the hole for a tripod on the M6 (and so
>"occupies" it), is there any other way to put the M6 fitted with handgrip
>on a tripod?
>
>Thanks for a reply on this!
>
>Pascal
>Belgium

Pascal,

I use both the Leica and GMP grips, they are very similar.

As you say the grip is attached by a screw into the hole at the bottom
right of the camera (where you would fix a tripod). The bottom of the
grip extends along the camera baseplate for about 3/4 of its length.
There is a threaded bush in the base of the grip, just under the lens,
for attaching a tripod. Since the grip does not extend all the way along
the camera bottom you still have access to the key for removing the camera
base plate with the grip still attached. You don't have to remove the grip
to change films.

                             Bob.

Bob Parsons.  bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk