Subject: Re: 50mm Summicron's
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: 25 Apr 97 23:50:46 -0700

On Fri, Apr 25, 1997 5:45 AM, Steve Kobrin wrote:
>The recent discussion about 50mm lenses has gotten me interested in a
newer
>50mm for my M3.  (I currently use a collapsible Summicron.)  The
impression
>I get from the thread is that the newer lenses show a marked difference in
>contrast, if not in overall resolution.  In that context, what does
"newer"
>mean?

I was referring to black, Canadian lenses, dunno exactly how old-probably
early '80s, versus brand-new optics. My tests were hardly conducted under
controlled conditions, and, I hope I conveyed the impression that all
worked great and, had I been able to acquire the Canadian lens
significantly cheaper than a new lens with $200 rebate, I certainly
would've chosen this route: Never a sub-$500 lens deal when you need it!

>Are there used "new" Elmar 2.8s on the market?
Oh yes, check the Don Chatterton web site periodically. Whether you can
save significantly over a new lens with rebate is another matter. For
awhile, it seemed virtually impossible to get ahold of a black one.