Subject: Re: Hg batteries
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:53:57 -0400

At 11:35 AM 4/25/97 -0400, Ken Wilcox wrote:
>Another case of government doing what is east rather than what makes sense?

I presume you meant to say, 'easy' and not 'east'.

Not at all.  We have a system which, alas and alack!, allows bureaucrats to
regulate our lives.  To do this, they must hold public hearings:  there are
probably several hundred of these hearings each week (you all do NOT know
how much the government intrudes into every aspect of your life -- WRITE
YOUR CONGRESSPERSON!)

The EPA, under this statist system, asked for public comment.  The camera
industry vociferously objected to an exchange policy, as did the
hearing-aid people.  No one spoke in favour of the proposal -- you and I
didn't know to comment!  The EPA went with the only comment they had, as
they are supposed to do.

The political system and the EPA acted in accordance with the rules.  We
were the ones who failed to react -- but that's because we didn't KNOW
about it.

It's a lousy system.  LOBBY FOR CHANGE!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315