Subject: Re: UO2(NO3)2*6H2O
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:28:21 -0700

At 11:56 PM 4/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 10:37 PM 23-04-97 -0700, you wrote:
>>For those of you that were interested, I found some. Anybody still
>>interested in making uranium toner, I found a source of uranyl nitrate
>>[UO2(NO3)2*6H2O]. It's $74.30 per ounce. $218.45 for 125 g. It's a little
>>steep but I can get it if you want some. e-mail me privately.
>>
>>Jim
>>
>Thats sounds rediculously high.  Uranium is not a very rare element.   Why
>should Uranyl Nitrate cost so much?  When I was an undergraduate, I can
>recall seeing a bottlle of the stuff in one of my physics labs.  It wasn't
>treated any differantly than other of the  chemicals that were there, but
>based on the above price, that bottle must have been worth about $1,000!
>
>Dan C.

Don't ask me... there's a huge handling document with it and it has to be
shipped to an approved lab. I have access to an approved lab. I suspect the
EPA nazi's have driven up the price because of documentation, special
handling, etc. Also this is laboratory grade stuff. As I said in a previous
post, the ordinary stuff is "unobtaniun." When I was in college, we played
with mercury. We coated coins, made barometers, etc. Now, if you spill a
drop of Hg, the hazmat team will throw you in jail, burn your place to the
ground, etc... As I said, the price is what Mallinckrodt Chemical, Inc.
gets for it. It probably has no bearing on the actual manufacturing cost.

Jim