Subject: Re: M4-P
From: Steve <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 07:55:11 -0700

andreas frijdal wrote:

> dear LUG friends
>
> after severals months of LUG readings I'm going to make the big step. I
> have been offered a M4-P black (1620697) at 30.000 bfr/ 850$(condition:
> heavyly used, hardly any paint left on the back, but no obvious signs of
> crashes, shutter sounds ok, at 15 and 30 has a litlle echo).

I regularly see Mint- M4-P's sell in the $750-800 range, retail at the
camera shows.

> a summicron 50/2 collaps.(1174978) used but ok. the only inconvenience i
> see is the diapphr. ring that is rather heavy, as a result you tend to
> unlock the lens into it's collaps. position. asking price 5000Bfr/135 $.

A low price, but an older screw mount lens with the M adapter,  which
has two frequent problems:

	1) a VERY soft front coating which easily scratches even from careful
cleaning
	2) original sperm whale lubricants which often degrades and migrates to
the
	   lens elements, creating a "haze" or "fog."
	3) some people are lucky enough not to have encountered the fog, but
they
	   are very lucky IMO.

The way to check for either is to shine a small bright flashlight
through both ends of the lens.  It should be crystal clear, if it is
not, you have problems.

Stephen Gandy